Countdown to Reservations End Date
This comprehensive 5 day course is an introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. We equip you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
The RYA chart plotter has been developed specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shore based course in our Brixham classroom.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
There will normally be a small amount of homework set each evening. The course will conclude on Day Four if you are continuing on to a practical course either that day or later; if you are only completing the shore based course it will finish on completion of the examination papers required for certification on Day Five.